Microsoft Power BI Consultant
We’re always looking at perfecting our Power BI consultancy services, and these updates help us significantly. They give us superb insights into how business intelligence solutions can be improved, and how we can improve our training courses on various elements of Power BI. Whether it’s Power BI dashboards or DAX, XL Intelligence want to ensure you’re getting the most out of Power BI.
Please see the summaries of the Power BI monthly updates:
- Power BI September 2019 update
- Power BI October 2019 update
- Power BI November 2019 update
- Power BI 2020 update summary
- Report Server January 2020 update
- Power BI February 2020 update
The March Power BI update includes new features in:
- Template Apps
- Data preparation and connectivity
New action types for buttons
There are two exciting new action types available for buttons in Power BI Desktop. They make the life of a report author so much easier!
- Page navigation – this means you don’t have to save any bookmarks for your destination pages.
- Drill through (preview-only) – which will allow you to navigate extensively to a drill through page. Read the Power BI March Feature Summary for a full breakdown of how this works.
Multi-column sort for tables
By pressing Shift and clicking a column header, once one has already been sorted, you can add this to the sort order. This allows you to sort fields of one particular category or class.
Dual axis for line chart
You can now include an additional Y-axis on your line charts, thereby enabling you to plot two separate trends along the same X-axis.
Filter pane search
You can now search across your filter cards within your filter pane, to help you identify ones that you need more quickly. You can make alterations to the search box if you wish. This feature can be turned off or on in ‘Report settings’ in Options.
Decomposition tree updates
You can now modify the total number of bars shown in the decomposition tree, which is a new conditional formatting option.
In addition to the above, you will be shown a dialog box explaining the new ribbon on the Power BI interface.
Updates to the ribbon
Some notable Power BI Desktop updates include the enhancements to the ribbon. There are new title bar updates as well as the inclusion of keytips, which users can use to navigate and select buttons in the title bar and ribbon. Users also have the option to choose custom format strings in the ribbon as well as the Properties pane.
New DAX functions
- COALESCE – Do you ever need to write a measure with a provision for an alternative if the result is blank? Of course, we all do! Here is your new friend: COALESCE. See more details in the Power BI Feature Summary.
There are new Power BI visualisations to report:
- xViz Waterfall chart – this new feature is suitable for showing anything from running totals to variance and breakdown analyses.
- ArcGIS Maps updates – this includes new connection options, a new table of contents feature as well as support for multiple reference layers.
There are a couple of new additions to the Power BI templates assortment. You can save time significantly by connecting your own data to prebuilt reports. They are listed below.
- Azure DevOps dashboard (Data Maru) – this helps stakeholders gain insight into development details and iteration health.
- TeamsPower (Encamina) – this app allows you to delve deeper into the digital transformation of your business, by analysing the use of your Microsoft 365 applications.
Data Preparation and Connectivity
This feature is now generally available to all Power BI Desktop users.
The new connectors Power BI have introduced include:
- Hive LLAP connector – this provides both Import and Data Query capabilities, and the feature to set Thrift Transport as either ‘HTTP’ or ‘Standard’.
- Cognite connector – this allows data consumers to read, analyse and present data from the software package, CDF (Cognite Data Fusion).
The other updates include a preview feature for enhanced dataset metadata, and a brand-new ‘administrator-in-a-day’ training. Finally, admins can now allow users to use default system credentials for web proxy authentication.
Microsoft Power BI Consultants
We have developed a variety of business intelligence solutions as a result of our Power BI consultancy.
XL Intelligence want to ensure our clients receive the best possible support. Whether they want to learn how to use Power BI themselves or have a dedicated consultant work with them to develop bespoke solutions that help their business, we are here to help.